The Turnpike was built over two hundred years ago, but was originally known as The Bunch of Grapes. In 1719, this section of the Stokenchurch to Woodstock highway became part of the Turnpike Trust. To the south of any existing building, a cottage and toll booth were constructed and a gate was put across the road. The Turnpike Trust was dissolved in 1878 and the toll booth demolished. The pub building is constructed of Cotswold Stone and the roof is Cotswold stone slate, once described as 'the finest in Oxfordshire' by Sir John Betjeman, Poet Laureate, on one of his visits to Mr George Kolkhurst who owned Yarnton Manor. The first registered landlord was a Mr William Tubb who ran the inn from 1784-1785.
This information has been produced in reference to 'The Turnpike Times' by the local historian Frances Page.
2 Woodstock Road, Yarnton, Kidlington, Oxfordshire,
OX5 1PJGet Directions