The Running Mare
The inn dates back to the 18th century and the first registered landlord was Robert Lemon. Prior to being named The Running Mare, the inn was known as The Trues, The Tanners and The King's Head. The tradition of changing names extends to the town in which the pub sits. In the Domesday Book of 1086 Chelmsford was called 'Celmeresfort' but by 1189, the town's name had changed to the current Chelmsford.
Running Mare Lane, Chelmsford, Essex,
CM2 8PNGet Directions