The Old Gate Inn
Dating back to 1728, the inn was built near the Toll Gate and was originally known as the Sign of the Gate. The first landlord was Richard Howard, who also collected the tolls and was a trained tallow chandler (maker of candles). In 1781 the Old Gate Inn became a coaching house where travellers could rest for a night.
162-164 New Dover Road, Canterbury, Kent,
CT1 3ELGet Directions