The Golden Fleece
The Golden Fleece dates back to the 17th century, having been known as The White Lion and The White Horse in its early days.
It was in the 1840’s when it was owned by William Henry Welch that it became known as The Golden Fleece. In 1848 Welch made a will, leaving the pub to his four children. He outlived his wife and died in 1858. In 1865, three of the four siblings agreed to sell their share to their sister Harriet for the sum of £750. A copy of the original Indenture detailing these events is displayed in the bar.
Braughing was strongly driven by agriculture and trade and the name of The Golden Fleece is believed to be linked to the sheep farming and wool trade which was an important part of the local economy.
The pub was in constant use until the latter part of the 20th century when it was left derelict after a failed attempt to convert it to a residence. Jess and Pete were thrilled to buy the building in February 2010 and re-opened it for business in July of the same year.
20 Green End
SG11 2PGGet Directions